The 10-second guide to the Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Rewards on every purchase, with no minimums and no caps.
- Offers extended warranty protection, travel accident insurance, and reimbursed Uber One membership.
- Available to students who are currently enrolled in an accredited university, community college, or other higher education institution, as well as people who have been admitted and are planning to enroll within the next three months.
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card review
The Quicksilver Student card is offered exclusively to students. Capital One makes the card easier to get than most rewards cards — they’ll consider applications from students with at least fair credit. (Note that this information is not provided by Capital One and does not constitute preapproval.)
Here’s what you need to know about the Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card.
- Earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase, with no minimums, no limits on the amount you can earn, and no categories to track.
- Earn 10% cash back on Uber rides and Uber Eats purchases, plus get your Uber One monthly membership fee covered through November 14, 2024.
- Earn 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.
- Extended warranty protection.
- Travel accident insurance.
- $0 annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fees.
Pros and cons
- Simple rewards structure offering 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
- Card is available to students with fair credit.
- 10% cash back on Uber and Uber Eats purchases.
- Easy to earn welcome bonus.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Card offers no bonus categories beyond Capital One Travel and Uber.
- Welcome bonus is only $50.
Current welcome offer
The Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards credit card offers a $50 cash bonus after you spend $100 on purchases within three months of opening the account.
If you currently have or previously had a Capital One Quicksilver Student card, you may not be eligible for the welcome bonus.
How to earn rewards
In addition to 1.5% everyday rewards, you’ll earn 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars when you book through Capital One Travel. Through November 14, 2024, you’ll also earn 10% cash back on purchases with Uber and Uber Eats.
How to redeem rewards
You have three options to redeem your cash back rewards with the Quicksilver Rewards for Students card: cash back as a check or statement credit, a statement credit to cover a recent purchase, and gift cards.
Cash back redemptions
When you redeem your rewards for cash, Capital One will either send you a check or apply cash back rewards to your card account as a statement credit. You can also set up automated redemption for cash back rewards. If you choose automatic redemption, you can opt to redeem your rewards at a set time each calendar year or once you accumulate a given amount of rewards.
Redeem for a recent purchase
You can also redeem your rewards to cover a specific recent purchase. When you redeem your rewards to cover a recent purchase, you’ll get a statement credit in the amount of the purchase you select.
Finally, you can redeem your rewards for gift cards. Gift card redemptions are unlikely to yield more reward value than a cash back redemption, unless Capital One is running a sale that gives you more than the cash back value of your rewards.
The Quicksilver Student credit card offers perks like extended warranty coverage and travel accident insurance. Plus the card covers your Uber One monthly membership fee through mid-November 2024. Benefit details will be provided in the Guide to Benefits that you receive with your card.
- Uber One membership – Get your Uber One monthly membership fee covered by the card through November 14, 2024.
- Extended warranty – Double the warranty coverage, up to one additional year, on eligible items you purchase on eligible warranties of three years or less.
- Travel accident insurance – When you use your card to purchase airfare, bus fare, or a train ticket, you’ll get automatic insurance against covered losses.
- No foreign transaction fees – Whether you’re traveling or studying abroad, you won’t pay foreign transaction fees when you use your Capital One card.
Who it’s good for
The Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card is ideal if you’re a student (or will be enrolling within the next three months) and want a credit card with a simple rewards structure and no annual fee. As a Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards cardmember, you won’t have to track categories or jump through hoops — you’ll just get 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
The card also offers an extended warranty benefit, making it a good choice to use for school essentials like laptops, tablet computers, lab equipment, and cell phones — you’ll get an extra year of warranty coverage to protect these purchases.
If you’re a student, you probably don’t have decades of credit history. Fortunately, the Capital One Quicksilver Student card is available to students with fair credit, making it within reach if you’re a student with a limited credit history.
Who should look elsewhere
Capital One offers the Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card to students who are enrolled in an accredited university, community college, or other higher education institution, as well as people who have been admitted and are planning to enroll within the next three months. If you aren’t a student (or won’t be one anytime soon), you won’t be able to get this card. Fortunately, there are plenty of options for nonstudents with good credit.
If you like simple 1.5% cash back rewards and want to keep your banking relationship with Capital One, the bank offers the Quicksilver Rewards card to consumers with excellent credit. There are also variants of the card available to applicants with less-established credit, including a secured card that offers 1.5% cash back rewards with a $200 security deposit.
But if you want maximum rewards on your credit card spending, you should shop for a card offering 2% cash back on every purchase. The Wells Fargo Active Cash features 2% cash back on every purchase, plus a cell phone protection benefit that can keep your mobile phone protected against accidental drops or theft.
You could also check out our list of the best cash back credit cards, where you’ll find an up-to-date roundup of the best cash back credit cards available.
The Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card offers simple 1.5% cash back rewards on every purchase, with no annual fee.
In addition to generous rewards, the card’s extended warranty and Uber One benefits create a compelling value proposition matched by few student credit cards.
For students wanting a single card to use for everyday spending, the Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card is a top pick.
Editorial Disclosure: All articles are prepared by editorial staff and contributors. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the editorial team and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including rates and fees, presented in this article is accurate as of the date of the publish. Check the lender’s website for the most current information.
This article was originally published on SFGate.com and reviewed by Lauren Williamson, who serves as Financial and Home Services Editor for the Hearst E-Commerce team. Email her at [email protected].